Thanks For The Visit

Thank you for stopping by. I trust you will find helpful and encouraging information and discussions on this site. Care to comment? Click on the comment button after an article. You can also click on this link https://www.amazon.com/author/robertcoutts and it will take you to my author page where you can view the works I have put together on your behalf. I hope they encourage you. Thanks again and be blessed, He is coming soon!

Thursday, October 12, 2023

UNDERSTANDING ADVERSITY: PART EIGHTEEN

 

UNDERSTANDING ADVERSITY PART EIGHTEEN

Welcome to number eighteen and the last point before our conclusion. Number eighteen is a follow-up to our last point discussing the mystery of the eagle and godliness. The point today is How Do We Avoid Unnecessary Adversity.

What I am going to say in this section may ruffle a few feathers but if it does, then perhaps you are the one who needs to check your own actions. Having said that how do you avoid unnecessary adversity which we are so prone to attract?

One of the easiest ways is to recognize the danger of the unbridled tongue. I think we can sum up how to avoid adversity this way. Open our mouths when necessary and keep them closed all other times.

Many people  have a tendency to dwell on negatives and not accentuate the positives. When that happens, we can even become stumbling blocks to others who may be going through rough times as well. Being Christian is not a magical cure, but knowing Jesus and keeping our faith alive in Him is a good place to start. We well know that life and death lie in the power of the tongue and we also know that an unbridled tongue can lead to destruction.

In the Word of God James says,

“Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm. Withersoever the governor listeth.

 Even so the tongue is a small member, And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: So is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.” James 3: 4-6;

When adversity comes, the words we use can influence the course of many lives in the same way that a small rudder can influence the course of a ship. Even in Bible times we see the prophets and spiritual leaders of the day had learned their lessons about bridling their tongues. Take David for example. He had a concern for his own tongue during adversity. He said,

“Lord, who shall abide in thy Tabernacle? Who shall dwell in thy holy hill…? He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbor, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbor.” Psalms 15: 1; 3;.  and,

 and,

 “What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days that he may see good? Keep thy tongue from evil and thy lips from speaking guile.” Psalms 34: 12-13;.

We see even from the writings of David that he was in anguish over the tongues of others while they were going through adversity. He said,

Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words:

That they may shoot in secret at the perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not.

They encourage themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, who shall see it?

They search out iniquities; they accomplish a diligent search: both the inward thought of every one of them, and the heart, is deep. Psalm 64: 3-6

Further David said;

Deliver me, O Lord, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man; which imagine mischief's in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war.

They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selah. Psalms 140: 1-3;

So it would seem folks that in order to avoid unnecessary adversity, (notice I said unnecessary adversity because many of the troubles that befall us come from our own doing. We open our mouths and insert our feet. Trouble ensues)

So like I said it would seem that in order to avid unnecessary adversity, perhaps it would be a wise thing to bridle our tongues or in plain English, keep our mouths shut and do not stir any pots that do not need stirring.

Adversity follows those who want it or create it with uncontrolled tongues. I know it sounds too simple but then, why would the apostle Paul or the Psalmist David even mention it if it were not a root cause?

Avoid unnecessary adversity and you will find life in Jesus can be smooth sailing.

That concludes our study on Understanding Adversity but I want to go a step further with you and give you a message to encourage you as you do face trials. We are given a method and I want to share it with you in the net segment which is the conclusion.

 Don’t forget, hit the subscribe button so you can keep informed about this series and also check out the amazon book page to get your copy of this study.

Shall we pray. If you do not Know Jesus as your Savior today, I invite you to say the sinner’s prayer with me now.

Lord Jesus, I come to you today in need of a Savior. I believe you came to this earth as a man and walked among us teaching and healing and saving souls. I acknowledge today that I am a sinner and that you died for me and rose on the third day, ascended to Heaven and are seated by the Father. I ask you to forgive me of my sins and come into my life and be my savior today. I believe I am now born again and one day I will be with you forever. Thank you in Jesus name. Amen

See you in The Conclusion. Have a blessed day.

No comments: