Thanks For The Visit

Thank you for stopping by. I trust you will find helpful and encouraging information and discussions on this site. Care to comment? Click on the comment button after an article. You can also click on this link https://www.amazon.com/author/robertcoutts and it will take you to my author page where you can view the works I have put together on your behalf. I hope they encourage you. Thanks again and be blessed, He is coming soon!

Sunday, October 8, 2023

UNDERSTANDING ADVERSITY: PART THREE

 

UNDERSTANDING ADVERSITY: PART 3

 Our Third Look at adversity is that Adversity Is God’s Call For Self Examination.

I can’t think of one person that likes to examine themselves. Maybe we are afraid of what we will find. As a matter of fact I don’t know of anyone that I can name has done a self examination and come up with an excellent report on themselves. 2 Corinthians 1:9; says, “We should not trust in ourselves but in God.”

We usually think of opportunity as our own chance to take a significant step ahead in life. We love the idea of an open door or a favorable moment to seize the chance of a lifetime. But do we ever think of opportunity from God’s perspective? Our worst circumstances may be God’s best opportunity to bring new meaning to our lives.

Man’s extremity is God’s opportunity. This principle was true in the apostle Paul’s life, and I expect it’s true in our experience as well. In his second letter to the Corinthians, Paul recalled a time when he and his companions were under great pressure, far beyond their ability to endure. They even thought they were going to die.  He wrote, For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life:”  2 Corinthians 1:8;

But Paul said that during those troubled times they learned to put their trust not in themselves, “but in God who raises the dead.” 2 Corinthians 1:9;

As we look at our lives we should be looking for opportunities for God to teach us. It may be during times of hurt or great loss or when you just come to the end of yourself and you have given up hope. Remember: Your worst circumstance may be God’s best opportunity.

1 Corinthians 11:31; says,  “For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.”

and, 

1 Corinthians 11:32;  “But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.”

and

Revelation 3:19; says, As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.”

God requires that we search out, confess and forsake every sin. In other words, do a self examination. Proverbs 28:13; says, He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.”

God did not leave us defenseless because in order to help us in the self-examination process, He established the regular observance of the Lord’s table as the time and the place for self examination. When this is neglected or abused, God allows the further motivation of adversity,  

“But let a man examine himself and so let him eat of that bread and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.” 1 Corinthians 11:28-30;

Self-examination must take place in God’s Word. Just as an example, if things are not going well for us, the reason may well be that we dishonored our parents: look what the Word says about this,

 “Honor thy father and thy mother which is the first commandment with promise;  that it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.” Ephesians 6: 2-3.

And what about if it seems that evil will not depart from our household, it is possibly because we have rewarded evil to those who did good to us; “Whoso rewardeth evil for good, evil shall not depart from his house.” Proverbs 17:13.

 A.W. Tozer tells the story of a simple-hearted man who was asked how he managed to live in such a state of tranquility even though he was surrounded by adverse circumstances. His reply was profound and simple at the same time. He said, “I have learned to co-operate with the inevitable!” There are very few people who practice this simple approach to life. Too many fight against and complain about their circumstances throughout life all the while believing they are surrendered to God’s will. In the lives of all of us there will be problems that refuse to go away. But what God permits, He also uses. But he uses it redemptively.

Too often we pray, “God get me out of this mess.” But the Lord may be saying, “Let me into the mess and permit me to change you rather than your circumstances.”

That’s the greatest miracle of all. The pain of adversity should cause us to pray, Search me O God, and know my heart, try me, and know my thoughts and see if there be any wicked way in me. . . Psalm 139: 23-24.

Why not make today a day of self examination. You just may find God is waiting to answer you in your storm when you recognize what is going on in your life.

Don’t forget, hit the subscribe button so you can keep informed about this series and also check out the amazon book page to get your copy of this study.

Shall we pray. If you do not Know Jesus as your Savior today, I invite you to say the sinner’s prayer with me now.

Lord Jesus, I come to you today in need of a Savior. I believe you came to this earth as a man and walked among us teaching and healing and saving souls. I acknowledge today that I am a sinner and that you died for me and rose on the third day, ascended to Heaven and are seated by the Father. I ask you to forgive me of my sins and come into my life and be my savior today. I believe I am now born again and one day I will be with you forever. Thank you in Jesus name. Amen

 See you in Part 4, Have a blessed day.

No comments: